January 2023 Newsletter: A High Schooler Changes His Mind on Abortion!

KJ changed his mind on abortion!

KJ was standing in a group of teenage boys when I began talking to them at high school outreach.  As the other boys dispersed, he stayed and continued to talk to me.  He at first said he was against abortion, but he kept saying things to the tune of, “if a woman wants to get an abortion, she should do it early in the pregnancy.”  I explained to him that even at early stages of the pregnancy, the woman is carrying a human being.  He agreed that they’re human, and that you shouldn’t kill innocent humans, and when I asked him if he’s against abortion in all cases, he said, “Yeah, honestly.”  Please pray for him, that the pro-life position would be cemented in his mind.

My friend Triniti, who I know from my time with The Center for Bio-Ethical Reform, joined us for outreach last week!

Our team has been going through a series called When Helping Hurts, on how to help those in poverty.  The question of how to best help those people is one that doesn’t have a clear answer.  Here are a few things I have found helpful: I am fundamentally no different than people who live on the street; I happen to have been born into a family that affords me opportunities and connections I might not otherwise have (pride is absolutely not okay!).  Everyone has dignity (we all bear God’s image!), and a person’s sense of dignity increases when they participate in providing for themselves (as opposed to just being given things).  Everyone has something to offer to the community.  Building a relationship with someone is significantly more helpful than giving them free things.

Now you’re wondering, “Okay that’s great that y’all are learning about that, but how does it relate to your pro-life work?”  Well, we don’t only want to do what we can to protect preborn people to the detriment of their parents; we recognize that killing the child will not help the parents in any way.  And the more we learn to love those born people we come across, whether on a college campus, at an abortion mill, or on the street, the better we can care for those preborn people who our work centers around.

I got to see my grandma Marnie over Christmas break!

A few of my co-workers are going to the March For Life this weekend, but I am not.  If you’re going, say ‘hi’ to my co-workers if you see them!  I’ll be enjoying a visit from a friend for the weekend.

Prayer Requests
- KJ – that the pro-life position would be cemented in his mind and for his salvation
- That I would continue to get better at hosting in mine and Mary’s new townhouse!  (Hosting stresses me out, but I love to do it!)
- That I would maintain a good bedtime routine and habits so that I can do my work to the best of my ability

From the frontlines of the battle for equality,
Maggie



Comments

Popular Posts