Psalm 37 and Evildoers


"Do not fret because of evildoers, nor be envious of the workers of iniquity." Psalm 37:1

I used to read passages like Psalm 37 and it didn't feel very applicable to me; or at least, the parts about evildoers and enemies didn't feel applicable. I knew of course that the devil is a very real enemy, but other than that...I couldn't really think of any enemies I had here on earth.

Nowadays, I read the likes of Psalm 37:1-2,12-17, and my mind immediately goes to people such as abortion doctors and others who no longer just seem like some far off, vague evildoer who I know is out there but it doesn't really affect me. Now I am keenly aware that there are real enemies, even here in the area where I live, who quite literally hate me, hate God, and hate those precious lives that God creates.

I rest in God's sovereignty, and yet I do sometimes fret because of evildoers, and I am sometimes envious of the workers of iniquity, envious of the popularity of their Godless message, when it should be all switched around so that the hope-filled, joyful message of the gospel and of God's mercy is the message that people can't get enough of, and the dark, evil, hopeless message of the world is the message that people instinctively turn away from.

Psalms like these are more personal to me now than they used to be, as I see and understand more of the evil of this world than I used to. But God's promise is just as true now as it always has been.

"Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for Him; do not fret because of him who prospers in his way, because of the man who brings wicked schemes to pass. Cease from anger, and forsake wrath; do not fret - it only causes harm.

"For evildoers shall be cut off; but those who wait on the LORD, they shall inherit the earth. For yet a little while, and the wicked shall be no more; indeed, you will look carefully for his place, but it shall be no more." Psalm 37:7-10

I look forward to the day when evil will be no more, and I am comforted knowing that day will come; but until then, I will continue to follow the call of my precious Savior to fight the evil that currently rages in our world, strengthened by the knowledge that He has won already.

Comments

Popular Posts